eConsult can be accessed via our website on your computer, mobile or tablet device. This will allow you to get help or advice from your GP online and receive a response by the end of the next working day. This means no more time wasted queuing on the phone or sitting in the waiting area for your appointment.
What will happen once the surgery has looked at my online consultation?
- You will have the option to get general advice, help for a specific condition or administrative request.
- Once a condition is chosen, you can access self-help information, access local services and pharmacy advice, or get advice from your GP at the surgery.
- If selecting ‘treatment and advice from my GP’ you will be directed to complete an online form about your symptoms. You will need to confirm that you do not have any symptoms that require immediate or urgent care. Please answer questions as accurately as you can so we can find the best way to help you.
- You will then complete the eConsult online form and provide your phone number and email address at the end.
Once your consultation has been received it will be passed to the triage team who will review it as quickly as possible. Once they have reviewed the information then you will be contacted by the surgery staff. We expect that the vast majority of patients will fit into one of the following outcomes:
- You may be offered an appointment that day – this will be with a clinician (GP, ANP or nurse) if they judge that your condition requires same day assessment face-to-face.
- You may be contacted for a telephone consultation – in some cases we may decide that you do not need to come to the surgery for a face-to-face review and we will contact you by telephone
- You may be offered an appointment at a future date – this is most likely if there is a particular GP that you normally see who is not available that day to deal with your consultation or if your condition does not require on-the-day assessment.
- You may be directed to another health professional or service to help you deal with your consultation – for example, the practice pharmacist, physiotherapy services or a community pharmacist.
- You may be given advice or feedback from the triage team by one of the members of the admin team – in some circumstances the triage team may feel that advice on self management of your condition is the most appropriate outcome and they will ask the admin staff to contact you to advise you of this and where to seek further help if appropriate.
Watch this video for more information about how eConsult works:
|When can I use eConsult?||If a patient submits an eConsult on Friday, the response time will be Monday. If the patient submits and eConsult on Sunday the response time is Tuesday.|
|What happens if I have more than one issue?||Please submit one eConsult per problem. This may mean you are submitting more than one eConsult. This will allow us to gather more accurate information to help you.|
|When will I get a response back?||If you submit your request after 3pm, your practice will respond by the end of the next working day.|
|What about the elderly and vulnerable?||Elderly patients who have access to the internet can use the service, otherwise they can call the practice as usual on the dedicated telephone number: 01224 641968.|
|What about my child?||Parents can submit an eConsult on behalf of their children.|
|How old do I need to be to use eConsult?||You can submit your own eConsult once you are 16 years old. If you are below 16 and wish to discuss an issue that your parents are not aware of, please phone the surgery to speak to reception.|
|But I need to be seen?||Your eConsult will be reviewed by your GP and if you need to be seen for a face-to-face appointment, you will be advised of this by your GP|
|What happens if my condition is not listed on eConsult?||If your condition is not listed, please select the option ‘Ask about general symptoms….’|
|Can I submit photos?||You may be asked to submit a photo with your eConsult to help us diagnose you. However, please do not include photos of intimate areas – for example genitalia or breasts. (For children under the age of 2, you can submit photos of nappy rash). See video below for further information on how to upload photos.|
|I completed an eConsult, but I have not heard back from the practice||This should not happen, however if it does and you have not heard back from the practice by the end of the next working day, please contact the surgery who will deal with this promptly.|
|I have an administrative request.||You can submit admin requests such as requesting a fit note (sick note) by visiting our website, going to the eConsult banner and selecting administrative requests.|